Wednesday, April 25, 2012

From Pallet to Wine Rack | Semper Fi Momma

Between my pallet garden and my wine bottle gardens, you can easily see what my two favorite items in my crafting projects are. What can I say? I love pallets and there are just so many things you can do with them, and yet I see so many pallets just sitting on the sides of buildings going to waste. It just seems like such a shame. You know what else is a crying shame? Not having a wine rack. Put my two loves together and WA-LA!
A wine rack made from a reused/recycles/upcycled pallet.

This was really easy to do. All you need to do to make this is cut the bottom portion of the pallet off. You can see from the picture that I cut mine right above the second board from the bottom.
Next. Sand it down. Some pallets are really rough and splintery, and some haven’t been beat up too much and are fairly smooth. Regardless make sure you give the whole thing a good sanding. Especially if you plan to stain it.
Which, next comes the staining. Keep in mind that you’re going to need a board to make the bottom of your rack. It’s easier to stain that board before screwing it in.
(you can just pry off one of the other boards on the pallet to make your bottom board for your wine rack)
All of my kitchen furniture has a dark, espresso finish to it which is why I chose to stain my rack the color that I did, but I did a light stain to give it a more rustic look.
Once the stain is dry (give it a couple of days) use some heavy-duty long screws to put on your bottom board. Remember this is going to be holding your precious wine bottles. Your sanity sippers. You will want to take extra care in making sure your rack is very sturdy. Once it’s complete it’s ready for hanging.
Again: EXTRA CARE!! Make sure you find stud in the walls to hang this one. If you simply throw a few nails up in the dry wall and hand this rack it’s going to come crashing down and you’ll be crying over a broken project
and -possibly worst of all- spilled wine. THE HORROR!!
So make sure you find the studs in the wall, use screws and anchors.

Stay tuned, I’m collecting more pallets and prepping for my next project.

Laura

Laura is a USMC wife and SAHMommy to her son and twin girls. While being a mommy and a military wife keeps her on her toes, she loves moving every 3 years and the many adventures military life has to offer. Laura is also a freelance writer, coffee connoisseur, and maker of kid-friendly sushi.

More Posts

Follow Me:
TwitterPinterest

0 comments:

Post a Comment